Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Story of Cakes, a Hip-Hop Dance Diva

Everyone has a story, and dancer and diva Samantha "Cakes" Huggins is no different. O.K. maybe a little different.

Sam Huggins has worked in Atlanta's arts and music scene for several years. What you may not know about Sam or "Cakes" as her friends call her is she is one of Atlanta's best kept secret.

Monday through Friday Sam Huggins spends her day working with several arts organizations and come Friday night Sam is, in her words, "Taking off my coat, throwing on my earrings and getting all diva'd out."

Why the superman change? Sam Huggins is a backup dancer for 90's R& B group Bel Biv Devoe. "Most people I work with have no idea what I do. I have sort kept it on the DL."

It all started three years ago when she booked a summer tour with BBD on their Ladies Night tour. The tour included Dru Hill and Keith Sweat. That 3 month tour turned into a three year gig all the while Sam kept her humble life here in Atlanta "I'm blessed to work with such a legendary group. Their music is timeless."




One day your talking with parents about the progress of their children and the next night you popin' and lockin' in Vegas and chillin' with artists like Montell Jordan, Salt & Pepa and Doug E. Fresh

Working with such legendary talent has given Cakes some perspective on the music industry and the fame game. We asked Sam what she thought of all the YouTube sensations that merged recently. "I'm old school. I went to school for dance and I hustled to get to where I am. I'm cool with it as long as their are talented. Like Justin Bieber. I took the kids from my studio to see his movie premiere and I was like this kid is really talented he can play the drums and everything.



Did we forget to mention that on top of working a full time job and doing world-wind U.S. tour on the weekends Samantha "Cakes" Huggins is also founder and owner of  Project S.L.I.D.E. ,

S.L.I.D.E stands for Saving Lives in Dance Education. "Dancing kept me out of trouble growing up. Boys would call me and I would tell them. Sorry I can't (go out with you tonight) I'm dancing tonight. You know how it is, a dancer can't be pregnant so if you ruin this it's going to be a problem. So I was extra cautions and determined to stay out of trouble and focused on dance. 

The mission of project S.L.I.D.E. is clear, offer professional dance training for today's youth in a safe and nurturing environment. It's for ages 8-17 and is a hip hop based program but will offer a variety of dance styles. Dance will be used as a form of therapy and to inspire today's youth to be better citizens.

With teen crimes and pregnancies being at an all time high let's bring back the days when you were so involved that you didn't have time to be influenced by the negative issues that our teens our faced with today! Our instructors are passionate about dance and teaching, that is why our staff is strategically chosen because the growth, development, and safety of our students is PRIORITY!

Tomorrow's dance break will look more at Project S.L.I.D.E, Sam's thoughts on the future and her favorite dance break.

No comments:

Post a Comment