Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Story of Cakes, a Dance Diva part 2

Yesterday we introduce dance breakers to Samantha “Cakes Huggins. Backup dancer for R& B group Bell Biv Devoe and Founder and owner of Decatur dance studio Project S.L.I.D.E.




The work that Sam does with Project S.L.I.D.E is truly amazing.  She is working with young girls & boys and getting them active, motivated and confident.




Sam is able to bring in guest artist to her studio to do work shop performances.  Not many Atlanta Studios can say they have backup dancer for Beyonce in studio working with their kids.  Project S.L.I.D.E can and they do it with no bravado.  Sam is working hard to give teens a chance to shine.

So what does the future hold for this Renaissance woman? “I would love to dance with Chris Brown, Ciara, Ne-yo and Prince although I might have to have more of an edge to dance with him like dying my hair platinum blonde or something…lol.  You see my style of dance is more old-school urban hip-hop.”  We think Cakes has plenty of edge and plenty of talent to dance with the best of them.  Even as we sat in this interview she would bust out a move or two in the chair.  This girl is on fire!

Now for the fun stuff we wanted to know who Cakes is dancing to when not on stage or in class. “Of course anything Michael Jackson related will get me going. I love Chris Browns Deuces. I wore my boy friend out playing Aaliyah’s Rock the boat. My mood changes, so it just depends on how I'm feeling. But I can dance to and love almost anything produced by Timbaland. At the end of the day I just love good music 




Finally, we had to know what your favorite BBD song is.  “Poison, when we get up on stage and they first notes start playing.  You can feel the history and timelessness of the song.  The crowd’s excitement and passion for the songs makes me feel like I’m dancing to Thriller.  This is the song they came to see, so you better not mess up… lol.”



Thanks to Sam for spending time with the 4 PM Dance break.  She truly is a delight and fantastic energy about her.  Project S.L.I.D.E has a recital coming up on May 1 on the 2nd stage at the 14th Street playhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment